Monday, August 1, 2011

You Scream , I Scream .......

We all love ice cream. What better way to beat the Heat of Summer? But what we don't love are the things in store bought ice cream and to get the ice cream we loved as children pre-made can cost an arm and a leg these days. With the knowledge of Castoreum / Beaver anal secretions it only makes sense to want to make your own. Not to mention , reading the ingredients in ice cream but all foods will probably have you desiring to make more of your own foods from scratch. If it says natural flavoring you can bet your bottom dollar there is something in it you DON'T want to eat. That's not to say they aren't natural , I mean beaver anal secretions are natural they come from a beaver. But I really don't want that in my mouth , at least not anymore. It almost makes me ill to think of some of the things I used to eat due to what they put in our food these days and most of it started in the 50's and continued to get worse when my generation was being born  , the 60's. So it wasn't only the hippies doing drugs but all of us due to the so called food enhancement chemicals or growth hormones and the list goes on and on. I mean really????
What they don't want you to know is you DON'T have to have an ice cream maker to make your own ice cream. There are Freezer methods out there that can be made as well and they are affordable. I do in fact have an ice cream maker so I tend to use that but either way will work. And I would much rather put a little work into it since I am putting it into my body. How about you?
Your kids are going to look at you in a whole new light once you have made a batch of homemade ice cream , you might even have to have an ice cream party.....lol  Think of the hero you are going to be when they find out you can add just about anything and it is good for them. Well..... you might want to leave that last part out , some kids only want things they know aren't good for them.....lol (Thanks Society , Government and Commercials). It is also a great way to get them cooking since most of the freezer recipe's don't call for any cooking at all just mixing. The ingredients are usually economical and fruits that you add can be purchased when in season or top with your choice of toppings. I prefer fruits and homemade syrups or even some of my homemade jams ( recipes for jams can be found on my blog as well ). But It's all in the eye of the Ice Cream maker : )


The recipe listed below is tried and true. I really suggest it :)



Ingredients

  • 3 cups (1 1/2 pts.) half-and-half
  • 1 (14 oz.) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sliced or mashed fresh fruit, such as peaches, strawberries, bananas and raspberries ect.

Instructions

  • COMBINE all ingredients in ice cream freezer container; mix well. Freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
  • FREEZER METHOD
  • Leave out half-and half. Combine sweetened condensed milk and vanilla in large bowl; stir in 1 cup pureed or sliced fruit. Fold in 2 cups (1 pint) heavy cream (do not use non-dairy whipped topping). Pour into freezer safe container and cover. Freeze 6 hours or until firm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment