|My First Rag Doll|
|Current Doll / Hair in progress / Face Painted|
Here are 4 links to get you started. The first is the mini doll I used in our first Facebook group contest , the second is the doll I am working on now. And the others are some I am thinking of making in time. The Tutorial Listed below is Awesome and The one I used to learn how to do the hair.
Doll Chamber / Mini Doll
Doll Chamber / Lg. Doll
Tutorial For How To Make Lg. Dolls / Doll Chamber
Free Doll Making Patterns
Cloth Doll Connection
* Tip #1 : Plain solid colors work best ( Muslin or Cotton ) for the body of your doll. Be sure as you sew to keep the right sides together and clip corners and curves inside the doll without cutting thru your stitches.
* Tip #2: Leave the opening to stuff the doll big enough. A Simple Whip Stitch will close the doll nicely.
* Tip #3 : Test your fabric if you plan on painting the faces with markers or acrylic paint. Some fabrics tend to run. This should be done on a stuffed piece of fabric , the stuffing Does make a difference as to if the fabric will run or not. ( Kids love to express themselves thru art. Acrylic paints can be purchased in pen form and make it easier for the little ones to decorate their dolls)
* Tip #4 : If you are going to embroider the face do so before sewing your doll together.
*Tip #5 : Sewing in the hair can be done a few different ways. I prefer sewing it directly onto the doll. ( See Tutorial Link Above. )
* Tip #6 : Clothing sometimes doesn't come with the doll patterns. If you know how to sew some basic clothing is all that is required or get creative and go crazy. It's up to you , you could design your own as I did with my 1st doll shown above or if you don't know how to sew very well you can always use clothing from old dolls or purchase a pattern. Most doll designers sell clothing patterns for their doll designs.
*Tip #7 : Have FUN and don't stress. Most of the doll maker's you see on the net have been doing this for years. This is like anything else it will take practice , trust me I know.
*Tip #8 : Fill your doll with Love it will put a smile on someone's face but will fill their hearts knowing you filled it with love : )